DID U KNOW…The Stanley Cup is named after Lord Stanley of Preston, the 1892 Governor General of Canada. It was first awarded to the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association (or MAAA) in 1893. Since 1958, five bands of championship names are engraved around the base of the Cup. When the rings become full, the oldest band is removed and preserved in Lord Stanley’s Vault at the Great Esso Hall in the Hockey Hall of Fame. A blank replacement band is then put in its place to be filled with the names of the next champions. No championship team names from the 1928-29 to the 1953-54 season are currently on the Cup.
NOW U KNOW